Friday, December 8, 2006

Too much to bear

The other day when my grandparents babysat Ella they gave her a new bear. They thought it looked like her. Maybe if she had claws and devoured gallons of honey. Now mind you this isn't some cuddly teddy bear. Instead it's an ugly, hard, ceramic statue that stands about six inches tall. It's not really the greatest toy to give a 17 month old. In fact, it's not even a toy. I would find it kind of sweet if it were a family heirloom passed down from generation to generation. However, it's a $1 piece of crap picked up from ___________ (insert your choice of Dollar General/Big Lots/Family Dollar). Normally I'd smile, give a fake "Oh that's cute", thank them for the gift, and toss it in the Goodwill box once they're out the door. However, Ella's fallen in love with it. I mean she carries the thing around the house now wherever she goes. Tonight we were putting on our coats, getting ready to go see Rachel at work. As I opened the front door she made a whining sound and outstretched her hand. I followed her fingers to see that stupid bear sitting right in the middle of the living room floor. I went to pick it up and she smiled wide as she was reunited with her new favorite toy. Now I keep trying to distract her with Oreos, books, Elmo, tightrope walkers, a life-size igloo, and a visit from David Hasselhoff but to no avail.



No comments: