Tuesday, October 3, 2006

The future Mrs. Ella Ritchason-Carter

Tonight I was flipping through the channels after the Cardinals' game one win and came across E!'s new House of Carters. I had caught a bit of it last night before dozing off. (I mean what am I going to watch instead? That disappointingly dull Studio 60 show? I've tried it for two weeks now and I'm done. At least Seth likes it.) Basically this reality show is a peek inside the dysfunctional relationship between the singing Carter clan: Nick (semi-famous still I guess), Aaron (barely famous and most likely to show up next season on Dancing with the Stars), Angel, Leslie, and Bobbie Jean (no idea). First of all this show is a train wreck (but of course I won't miss an episode). Basically everyone argues through the entire thing. One of the girls (does it even matter which one?) is drinking in 96% of the episode and almost catches her hair on fire while lighting a cigarette on the stove. Nick and Aaron start brawling over a loud stereo. There's even a Paris Hilton shout-out. What more could you ask for?

The truly unnerving thing about this is that Ella was fascinated with the TV while it was on. After a couple of minutes I switched the channel and she started whining. So just for fun I turned it back and a huge smile crept across her face as she hustled right up to the screen. Then she did something that almost pains me to report. She extended her neck and put her mouth right on the image of Nick Carter as though she was kissing him. First of all, the last time I checked this wasn't 1999. I haven't heard "I Want It That Way" in years (not that I'm complaing). And let's just say that it doesn't look like the Paris Hilton break-up has set that well with him. In fact it looks like the guy just ate an entire SUV. You know it's gone downhill when girls now say that Howie is the cutest Backstreet Boy.

No comments: