Saturday, September 23, 2006

Hired help

This morning Ella and I popped into Starbucks for a quick drink. I placed my order which came to $5.80. I gave the cashier a $10 bill and she gave me back a nickel in change. When I asked her about it she didn't seem to get it and simply said "Well that's what I was supposed to be." I wanted to tell her that even the boy in my class that alternates all day between eating his boogers and his scabs could figure out the correct change. I finally got my change and my coffee and sat down. As Ella was eating her $2.00 cookie a different worker came up to talk to Ella. She asked how old she was and I replied fifteen months. Then the woman said "Oh she's almost one then." The last time I checked there were twelve months in a year. And if it couldn't get worse she kept saying about how much it looked like Ella was enjoying her croissant. Chocolate chip cookies and croissants look nothing alike. I thought to myself that the lady seemed relatively well-adjusted for being on crack. I couldn't take much more of it so I wiped off Ella's mouth and wrapped up the rest of her "croissant" for later.

No comments: