Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My new year's resolution

This time of year it seems that everyone makes their new year’s resolutions. Usually it’s something like eating healthier or exercising more. Nah, I’m not interested in either of those. I mean I’m not giving up my Sour Patch Kids and Krispy Kremes. And the idea of jogging isn’t as tempting as say lying on the couch watching back-to-back episodes of Bromance and The City…..while eating Sour Patch Kids and Krispy Kremes. I guess mine isn’t a resolution per se, but simply something I want to accomplish. I have DVD’s out the rear that are sitting in boxes out in the garage. I just don’t have the time to watch them anymore, so I need to just put them in someone’s garage sale and get rid of them. Here’s the problem: I can’t seem to let them go without watching each of them one more time. So my new year’s resolution is to re-watch 400-odd movies by the end of 2009. Now some may scoff and ask where’s the challenge in that. I would respond by asking them if they have ever tried sitting through a second viewing of From Justin To Kelly. Ya, keeping your butt on the treadmill seems like a walk in the park next to that. When I told Rachel my plan, her only objection was to make sure I didn’t get rid of the classics. I, too, would have a hard time tossing aside Casablanca or The Godfather or Field of Dreams. When I asked her what other pillars of cinematic excellence she wanted me to set aside, Rachel had the audacity to utter the words How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days. I almost swerved into the oncoming lane of traffic. After taking a few seconds to regain my composure, as politely as I could I told her that a more apt categorization would be something like “expendable chick flick trash.” That didn’t go over well. So basically we’ll also be saving the entire Kate Hudson film catalog, along with Hope Floats, 50 First Dates, and Runaway Bride. The things I do for the woman I love.

No comments: