Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The curious case of Ella Ritchason

Tonight the kids and I ran to Kroger to pick up a few items. Ella is at that stage where she asks questions about everything. It's like living with a three year old Diane Sawyer.
  • "Why are we getting chicken?"
  • "Why are strawberries too expensive?"
  • "Why can't we eat the donuts now?"
  • "Why did Liam open that new box of cereal?"
  • "Why is it too cold for popsicles?"
  • "Why is that boy in that cart eating his boogies?"
With only one more thing to buy, we headed down the toilet paper aisle. I stopped midway down the row next to an elderly gentleman who bore a striking resemblance to a young (or is it old?) Benjamin Button. He was very kind and said hello to both Ella and Liam. I made my decision and threw the package into the cart. As fate would have it, just as we passed the man, Ella pointed and exuberantly declared, "Look Daddy! That man has diapers just like Liam!" I'll admit that I was tempted to grab the Depends from the man's grasp and shove them in my daughter's mouth. As you can imagine, while we were waiting for the cashier the ring up our groceries, young Katie Couric had a laundry list of questions about the man and his adult diapers. I finally just said that maybe he was getting them for a baby that was at his house. She replied matter of factly, "Daddy, grandpas can't have babies."

No comments: