Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Not your typical peanut butter and jelly sandwich

Each Wednesday I let my students stay in the classroom for lunch and watch the previous night's Idol telecast. Today Kaelob was opening his sack lunch and taking out its contents when he pulled out a red handkerchief. He look puzzled and I asked him why that was with his lunch. He let out a baffled "I don't know" as I asked him to come up to my desk. Upon closer inspection I realized that it wasn't a handkerchief but rather a pair of silk panties with a piece of paper safety-pinned to it. I snatched the unlikely item from Kaelob's hand and quickly stuffed them in one of the drawers of my desk. After a few minutes I took a peek (what man wouldn't?) and opened the attached note. It said "Sorry I've been so busy. I'll make it up to you tonight." I immediately burst out laughing, gaining the attention of the whole room. I just blamed it on yet another ridiculous Kevin Covais performance. I looked back over at Kaelob and he still looked perplexed, unable to eat. I walked over and asked him what was wrong and he told me he hated the meatloaf that was in his lunch and couldn't understand why his mom had packed it for him. Instantly it clicked as I realized he had gotten ahold of his dad's lunch instead. A smile crept across my face as I pictured a burly construction worker opening his lunch and pulling out a Lunchable and a cranberry juice box. I gave Kaelob $2 to go get a school lunch while I slipped the crimson thong back into the lunch sack. When he finished eating I just told him to put the sack back in his bookbag and take it back home to his mom. I would love to be a fly on the wall when she discovers her mistake tonight. Priceless.

No comments: