Friday, April 25, 2008

T.G.I.F.

It's Friday and after today's crazy day the weekend couldn't come soon enough. First, my student teacher has been doing a unit on communities. Today she was talking about the various occupations that people have and the responsibilities of each. As the lesson came to an end she went back over the various occupations and asked students to vote on the one they were most interested in. When she asked who was interested in being a pilot several of the boys' hands went up. However, it was kind of strange because one of the boys is legally blind and can't make out anything on the board without the help of a special video camera. I think it's great that he has such lofty goals, but several years from now if I'm boarding a plane I don't want to look in the cockpit and see him there reading the airplane manual in braille.

In a couple of weeks we're having a Mother's Day program so we're starting to make a few things to give to all of the moms that day. Today the students made a Mother's Day card that resembles a tic-tac-toe board. In the center of the board they were asked to draw a picture of their mom, while the other eight squares were left blank for them to write in words that describe their mom. The most popular responses were loving, friendly, and helpful. One of the boys was really struggling to fill in his last square so he asked me "Can I write down boobs?" Um, no.

For another activity they were given the word "Mother" and had to write words or phrases about their mom that started with each of the six letters. I saw several heartwarming sentiments such "Most amazing mom in the world" and "Helps me with my homework every night." Awwww. A boy had finished a few of the letters but was having trouble coming up with something for T and R. Finally he asked if could jot down "Tiny butt." I responded with a simple "Are you kidding me?" as he cackled like the Wicked Witch of the West. And if he hadn't annoyed me enough he then asked "For R can I write 'really sexy'?" I tried to explain that this was his mom that he was talking about and that the comment was inappropriate on a number of levels. He finished by saying "So....can I write it down?"

No comments: