Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Instinctively rancid

This morning I was in the hallway testing one of my students. He was asked to read two pages of a book and then I would ask him questions about what he read to check his comprehension skills. The book he was reading was about animal instincts, traits that they are born with. After he finished I asked him to tell me some examples of animal instincts. He sat completely still and silent for a moment before he began in short, measured sentences. "Dogs...chase...moving...things...like...cars...and...tennis...balls." It was kind of unusual because while he's a shy kid, he doesn't usually stammer along when he talks. I finally asked him if he was alright and he dissolved into a sea of giggles. I made out the words "I farted" as he gasped for breath. It was like when someone tells you a wave is coming just seconds before it crashes down on you. Almost immediately the hallway smelled like a sewer. I kept waiting for Donatello, Leonardo, and the rest of the ninja turtles to come bursting through the walls, wielding their numchuks in hand. His excuse? "My mom made fajitas on Saturday so I've been doing this all weekend."

No comments: