Saturday, July 21, 2007

Potteritis

So I just got back from picking up the new Harry Potter book shortly after midnight (Nerd Alert!). I got hooked earlier reading the first third of the book that someone leaked online days ago so I got in line with the rest of the people in need of social life.

I'm all for little kids getting dressed up like Hermione or Dumbledore, but I draw the line at people over a certain age donning overgrown spectacles and a lightning bolt on the forehead crafted from Crayola washable markers. Let's just say that if you have hair growing under your armpits (or other places on your body) it's probably time to hang up the oversized cape. As soon as I walked into the store I heard a boy speaking in a dreadful British accent saying "Hello, I'm Larry Potter." This kid who was old enough to know better had on the full Potter costume and was just obnoxiously over the top. Before I could even roll my eyes he turned to me and said "Oh hi Mr. Ritchason." I turned to see a boy I had my first year of teaching who is getting ready to go into 8th grade. I made polite conversation, discussing the book and his summer before heading for my spot in line. Not much has changed for him in the last five years. Even an invisibility cloak can't hide a dork.

This group of three 50-somethings in front of me were way into it. They were having their own book club right there in aisle 2. I mean if I never again hear the phrases "social isolation" and "emotional frailty" I can die a contented man. I was waiting for Oprah to come waltzing around the corner. Oh and I guess I made some lady mad because Colin and I were discussing parts of the book we had already read. She turned around and glared at me like I had just urinated in her grandmother's applesauce. Spoiler alert: On page 274 Harry transforms a crabby, unibrowed lady into an ear of corn. Oops!

No comments: