Tuesday, November 14, 2006

From the line

There's a boy in my class who doesn't really have much to his name, including a dad. So when he asked me today to attend his first basketball game tonight I knew it would make his day. I drove over and witnessed a defensive showdown of nine-years old hopped up on Powerade. It was an action-filled game right down to the final buzzer when the score read 16-10. The best part was when this high school-aged kid came out after the first quarter. He stood at the foul line and shot free throws. And I thought halftime at the Bradley games were bad with the dogs catching frisbees. Anyway, the kid missed all eleven shots, five of which were airballs and three of which failed to even come within two feet of the rim. This kid was living one of my fears, standing in front of a gym full of people watching you suck at a sport. That's why I don't even attempt it and instead spend my nights watching yet another crappy Real World/Road Rules challenge.

No comments: