Saturday, July 22, 2006

Livin' on a prayer

So if the baby news wasn't exciting enough, last night my dad and I headed to north to Chicago to see Bon Jovi for the third time (and the second time in nine months). Naturally some have written the guys off as an 80's hair band, yet they remain as relevant today as they were back in the Reagan administration. Try to name another band from that era that can still churn out hit songs and sell albums and concert tickets two decades later. Here's a hint: You can count them on one finger (U2). This is my third stadium show at Soldier Field after seeing Dave Matthews Band and a now retired boy band that I'm too embarrassed to name, both in 2001. The show itself was a combination of greatest hits, new songs, and album tracks rarely played live. Songs like Livin' on a Prayer and You Give Love A Bad Name are tailor-made for massive outdoor shows like this. You can't help but throw your hands in the air and sing off key. I can't imagine the high it must be to step on stage in front of 60,000 people and have them sing your songs back to you. It's amazing to me that even after consuming 27 beers throughout the show fans still can sing every single line of Wanted Dead or Alive. I must admit that Chicago seems much more well-adjusted than Milwaukee. Really the only freak in the crowd was a guy who used binoculars not to see the band up-close but to check out all of the exposed breasts (most of which looked more like Jessica Tandy than Jessica Simpson). As an added note there were two celebrity sightings at the concert. First, slutty Denise Richards hung out on the side of the stage for the last half of the show. If you're Richie Sanbora why on earth would you leave Heather Locklear for a skank like that? It's one of life's most thought-provoking questions. Second, Molly Shannon was a section over from us and several rows up. It's nice to know that my teacher's salary can afford better seats than Mary Katherine Gallagher. I guess the residual checks from those Superstar DVD sales have dried up.

Set List

Last Man Standing

You Give Love A Bad Name
Complicated
Born To Be My Baby
Story Of My Life
Captain Crash & The Beauty Queen From Mars
I'll Sleep When Im Dead

Dancin' in the Streets
Runaway
The Radio Saved My Life Tonight
In These Arms
Always
I'll Be There For You
Have A Nice Days
Who Says You Can't Go Home
Raise Your Hands
Bad Medicine

Shout
Livin' on a Prayer

Encore
Just Older
Wanted Dead or Alive
It's My Life
Blood On Blood
Someday I'll Be Saturday Night
Treat Her Right

Keep the Faith

No comments: