Friday, November 2, 2007

Dinger envy

This afternoon we were doing a reading activity where the students had to find words in the passage that fell into a certain category. One of the columns was "Words that end in -inger." Students listed words like singer, ringer, finger, and stinger. One of the boys raised his hand and asked if he could also write down other words that weren't in the story. I agreed and then tried to think of some others. All I could come up with were zinger and swinger. A few minutes later when we were writing them on the board the boy raised his hand, confident that he had come up with something that no one else had. I called on him and he said "dinger." I tried to explain to him that it wasn't a word but he stood steadfast in his choice. I asked him if he could use it in a sentence so I could get some idea of what he meant by it. He smiled and said "My dad has a big dinger" before he burst into laughter. Most teachers would send him to the office, but I just chuckled and said that it was time to move on from his dad's dinger. It should make for an interesting parent/teacher conference next Thursday.

No comments: