Friday, October 3, 2008

You did WHAT in the bathroom??

In my class we have a behavior chart and if students misbehave they are asked to move their clip down the chart. Strike 1 is just a warning, strike 2 loses you five minutes of recess, and strike 3 makes you miss an entire recess. There's even a dreaded spot lower and if you move it all the way down there you get a note sent home to your parents. (Cue the Law and Order music here.) In addition to me writing up a letter I also make the student write a letter as well, outlining what he did to warrant said note. One of the boys in my class this year is a really sweet, endearing kid but has a bad case of the old ADD. He can't pay attention to save his life. Really. He could be gasping for air and wouldn't realize it until he was dead. Today by early afternoon he was all the way down to the bottom so I gave him a sheet of paper and asked him to write a note to his dad and stepmom. Usually when students write these they include the requisite "I was talking during the math lesson" or "I pushed Cheyenne in the lunch line" or "I purposely threw a football at John's nuts." After about ten minutes he brought the letter up to me. As I started reading his first sentence I learned that he was confessing to something that I didn't even know he did and if I'm not mistaken is an act that is still illegal in Vermont and one of the Dakotas.

Full translation (for those of you who don't have a Doctorate in third grade spelling):

I was squeaking my feet in the bathroom. I was yelling out the poem that I was supposed to read. I poked Leah, Arianna, Kevin, and Chloe. And I was not following directions. I was not listening. I was not behaving.

No comments: