Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A strange family dynamic

I sat down today to read a book about foods around the world with one of my small groups. This is one of my lower groups that needs a lot of help just building background and trying to think about what the book will be about. To help with this I made up a poster of various animals and asked the students whether or not these animals are eaten as food in different areas of the world. I jotted down their predictions along the side of the photos of snakes, bees, kangaroos, and bats. When I got to the fifth animal on the list, I asked if anyone thought people ate cats in other countries. Several of them looked around the table at one another, unsure of what to guess. Yet a big smile came across one boy's face as he thrust his hand high in the air. When I called on him he said "Mr. Ritchason, I know this one" as he nodded his head proudly up and down. To confirm, I repeated "So you think people eat cats?" "Oh, I know they do. My dad hunts cats with a rifle in our backyard and he puts the meat in the garage freezer." I should also add that this was the same man that was arrested three weeks ago for peeping into a teenage girl's window and trying to escape the police, so I guess nothing this man does should surprise me. However, it has taught me to always make sure Rachel and Ella close the blinds when they're getting ready for bed and to never accept an invitation from this family for Thanksgiving dinner.

No comments: