Saturday, September 20, 2008

Texting with mommy

Yesterday a boy in my class repeatedly had his cell phone out. (Yes, third graders now have cell phones in their book bags along with Magic Tree House books and Fruit Roll-Ups.) I warned him that if I saw it again I’d take it away and keep it until the end of the day. Well twenty minutes later I followed through on my threat and confiscated it. While carrying it to my desk it started vibrating in my hand. I looked down to see that he had a new text message. I opened it up to a note from his mom that read “We’re going to Pizza Hut tonight.” What mom in her right mind would be texting their kid at school? The only thing she should be writing back is “You are a spoiled kid. Quit texting me. Pay attention in class or I will flush your cell phone down the toilet. Love, Mom.” I looked back through his inbox to find that he had text (texted?) her seven times that morning and she had written back each time. So what important things did he have to tell her that couldn’t wait until 3:10?

  • 8:33 At school

  • 8:51 Orderd chiken nuggets

  • 9:11 I lost my sissers

  • 9:40 I forgot my snac

  • 10:22 Playin tag

  • 10:54 School is borin

  • 11:32 Im hungri


After receiving the Pizza Hut message I personally wrote her back with the following message: “This is Mr. R. Billy is not allowed to have phone @ school anymore. No more texts pls. Thanx. Enjoy ur pizza.”

No comments: