Tuesday, May 9, 2006

An awfully smelly insect

In Science we're doing a unit on insects and today we were talking about butterflies. So the lesson is going along nicely. The students are actually listening and not goofing off for a change. As we move on to discuss the life cycle of a butterfly I simply write the word "butterfly" on the board, or so I thought. As I walk away from the board after jotting down the final letter my students go back to their normal giggling and talking out. Frustrated, I ask them to quiet down when one brave girl raises her hand and says "Mr. Ritchason, I think you made a mistake." She points to the board and I immediately realize I had forgotten two very important letters. Instead of butterfly I had written the ever popular insect known as the butt fly. I'd better be careful to not leave off the first two letters when we discuss the grasshopper next week.

No comments: