Monday, November 10, 2008

The natives are restless

Today was our annual field trip to Dickson Mounds, a Native American museum in Lewistown. Personally this is my eighth time there in seven years. (My first year I had to go twice within the same week. Brutal.) I'll be honest that it's not always the most exciting place to go but I've gotta give them props because they teach the students quite a bit about Native American culture. My one complaint each year is that as soon as you step through the museum door you are face to face with replicas of life size Indian women without any tops on. Since I've been there so often I now know to warn my class about what they will see before we even get there. So on Friday afternoon I prepared them for it and we discussed how their culture was somewhat different than ours in that way. When we arrived today there were a few giggles, but I was really impressed that it didn't become an issue. Every year we go we get stuck with the same crabby, unenthusiastic woman who I had a run-in with two years ago (http://mritchason.blogspot.com/2006/11/politically-incorrect.html). She was telling the students about various types of pottery when she asked "What do you think Native Americans used this gourd for?" One of my boys instantly raised his hand. When she called on him, rather than answering the question, he asked "Why can you see those ladies' titties downstairs?" At that moment I would have paid an angry Native American to come in, scalp me straight Apocalypto style, and put me out of my misery. As I hopped up to take the boy out into the hallway for a not-so-nice conversation, the lady responded "I don't think this is an appropriate place to say the word 'titties'." At that moment I just wanted to yell out "CAN EVERYONE PLEASE QUIT SAYING TITTIES!" By the time we got outside the door I was bathed in sweat as I bent down eye level to him and let him know how completely inappropriate he was being. I soon remembered that he had been absent on Friday, not that this excused him from saying what he had. As I finished, I stood back up only to discover that his head was right next to yet another breast. He looked over at the voluptuous statue and then back at me. I gave him a raised eyebrow and not another word was spoken.

No comments: