Saturday, June 28, 2008

Due date

So right now I'm at Starbucks by myself checking email, updating my Netflix queue, and ordering some books for school next year. (Rach is at work and Mom took the kids to the farmers market.) A boy who I had in class two years ago walked in with his dad and twin brother. I waved at him and he came over and said hello before telling me that his mom is having a baby. Now this is not really the kind of woman who needs be procreate any more. (Click here for a walk down memory lane to our first meeting http://http//mritchason.blogspot.com/2006/08/when-saying-you-dont-care-isnt-enough.html.) Anyway, he went on to tell me that his mom was six months along to which I responded that she didn't have much further to go. He nodded and added "Yep, in five more months the baby will be here." 6 + 5 = 9? I instantly learned that his math skills haven't improved a bit since I had him in class. His dad just shook his head as though he'd heard it all before. "It's been the longest six months of my life," the dad bellowed in his finest Larry the Cable guy t-shirt. "She bitches about everything!" He then added that they were going to Kentucky for Thanksgiving and were hoping that the new baby arrived by then. Um, if the baby hasn't arrived by November I think you might have encountered some major complications. Spending the holidays in Kentucky would be the least of your problems. I simply said "Well I hope everything works out for your guys" as they grabbed their drinks and left. I guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

1 comment:

Aunt Julie said...

Well, they're from Kentucky, after all...Hey, I'm new to the blogging world and found your site through the Carnival of Family Life. Funny stuff here--look forward to reading more! Drop in to see me sometime, OK?