Sunday, May 27, 2007

A weekend at the supermarket

The last two days I've had to run to the grocery store to pick up some odds and ends. Yesterday as I was leaving the parking lot I saw one of the students I had last year in my reading group walking along the sidewalk. He had a chicken leg in one hand and a lit cigarette in the other. Guess he was sleeping through that two-week unit we did on nutrition and a healthy body. Then tonight as I'm going into the store I hear a vehicle behind me with "Because of You" blaring. As it passes I look through the open window to see a fifty year old man singing at the top of his lungs. For some strange reason I doubt that when a 16-year old Kelly Clarkson wrote the song she never imagined that an older man in a cut off Harley shirt would be driving in a pickup truck in Kroger parking lot belting out the lyrics like a lovesick high school freshman.

No comments: