Monday, April 2, 2007

Spilled milk

Last night we went to the Chinese buffet for dinner. Midway through the meal I got up to get a refill on my chocolate milk (because everyone knows that nothing goes better with ginger beef than chocolate milk). As I pulled up the handle to get the milk to come out I heard something drop into the bottom of my glass. I couldn't see anything in it but it made me a little sick knowing there was something swimming in there. I just took it back to the table for the busboy to pick up on his rounds. I headed back up, grabbed a fresh glass, and tried again. As the milk neared the top of my glass I pushed the lever back into place. Yet instead of returning to its original position it broke off in my hand. Chocolate milk started spilling everywhere. An Asian woman dining a few feet away started yelling at me in her native tongue as though I wasn't aware there was a problem. What did she expect me to do? Wrap my mouth around it and start suckling it like a cow's teat? I was standing there pinching it closed when the aforementioned busboy came to help me out. I handed over the udder and figured he could work it out. I watched him search frantically for a missing piece when it dawned on me that maybe that was what fell in my glass. I wiggled my fingers to the bottom and discovered the missing bolt. I ran it up to him and he said "Oi kahn chi," which I'm going to take as something of a thank you.

No comments: